June 8, 2009

St. Croix Ultra Lite Spinning Rod with Shimano Reel

I have a new love: My Premier Ultra Lite spinning rod. We spent 8 glorious days on the Buffalo river in Arkansas recently floating, fishing and having fun. During this time we put lots of smallmouth bass, crappie and bream into the canoe. This combination is great for creek fishing as well as any fresh water fishing in our area.

This little rod was super light and balanced and allowed me to drop a lure right next to a rock or log almost without thought. The rod feels like a natural extension of my body. It's also sensitive enough to feel the lightest tap of a bass or bream.

I paired this rod with the super smooth running Shimano Symetre 500FJ reel and Sufix Braid line. The reel is light and smooth. I never had a tangle and didn't worry about the times that I dropped the rod into the river. The Sufix braid I used was 6lb test, but is equivalent in diameter to 2 lb mono. This feathery line is invisible to fish - but still really strong.

No comments: